3 Day Hluhluwe-Imfolozi
This two night three day tour allows plenty of time to explore the wonderful Hluhluwe-Imfolozi game park and the St Lucia Estuary. By staying two nights we increase our chances of seeing big cats, elephants and more.
- At a Glance
Destination Hluhluwe Imfolozi and St Lucia Estuary Tour Type Safari drive with accomodation at Hilltop camp Duration Two nights, three days Walking required Some Highlights
- Traditional South African barbecue dinner
- Open safari vehicle sunset game drive
- Mini night walking safari
- See hippos and crocodiles up close on an estuary boat tour
- Day 1
Our safari starts early from Durban and travels north along the coast for 2.5 hours to Zululand where the world famous Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Game Reserve and the town of St Lucia lie.
The St Lucia Estuary is home to hundreds of hippos and crocodiles and more than 500 bird species including fish eagles and kingfishers. We will board a riverboat and spend 2 hours viewing this diverse wildlife.
After lunch (at your own expense) we will drive to the entrance of the game reserve. After a few formalities we begin our first game drive. Our overnight camp is about an hour drive through the park, depending on what we see on the way.
After checking in we will relax for a while then go out on an afternoon game drive. This is a great opportunity to see elephants, lions, giraffe and numerous antelope species.
In the evening your guide will discuss the options for the next day with you and work out an itinerary.
- Day 2
This day will probably have an early start. Depending on what you agreed with your guide the night before, we may go out for a 3 hour game drive when the gates open. The earlier the better as cats, hyenas and other predators are more active early morning. It is also a great time to see rhino bulls marking their territory. After our drive we will head back to camp for a scrumptious buffet breakfast.
We will take a short drive or maybe a full day searching for animals and perhaps travel to the south of the game reserve.
This evening you will join an included sunset game drive in an open safari vehicle before dinner.
- Day 3
After an early morning game drive searching for animals we have not seen so far we return to camp to enjoy our last buffet breakfast.
During breakfast, we will discuss the options for rest of the day which include another game drives elephant interaction (additional fees apply) or simply relax.
- Optional Elephant Interaction
We will drive out to a private game reserve that has adopted 2 elephants. These elephants were orphaned and hand raised so now see humans as part of the herd. You will be able to hand feed the elephants and touch them while learning about these magnificent animals.
Extra fees apply.
- Optional Cheetah Project and Rehabilitation Centre
- The objectives of this project are to create awareness about our rare cats and breed them for release into game reserve so as to sustain a population. There are 4 species of cats: African wild cats, servals, caracals and cheetah. Some of these cats were hand raised and so cannot be released. These are the ambassadors for their species. You will get to pet a few of the cats, take photos and sit next to a cheetah for a portrait shot. Extra fees apply
- Transfers from Durban and return
- All entrance fees (except for optional tours)
- All accommodation while on safari
- Dinner and breakfast while on safari
- Estuary cruise in St Lucia
- Sunset game drive in open safari vehicle
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Qualified safari guide
- Optional elephant interaction
- Optional Cheetah Project and Rehabilitation Center
- Drinks - other than water
- Personal Items